Joint and double degrees for PhD students
There are several different definitions of joint degrees, and national regulations can sometimes limit opportunities for this kind of collaboration. In many cases it is therefore much easier to collaborate within the framework of a double degree. With the help of the university's Legal Services and Record Management section, the Faculty of Medicine has developed a standardised agreement template for double PhDs.
Criteria to keep in mind
Before you admit a double PhD student, please observe the following:
- Are there different strengths within the collaboration that make it advantageous for a PhD student to be shared between two institutions?
- What does the collaboration look like both in the long term and the short term?
- Synergies - how does the institution view potential synergies that may arise through the shared PhD student? Are there reciprical intrests between the insitutions/research groups?
- Demarcation - should be strategic for research (determined by the supervisor). Avoid requests from individual students. The collaboration should be between two parties and not student-led.
General principles for double degrees at the Faculty of Medicine
General Memorandum of Understanding agreements
- Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate Program in Fetal Medicine (Joint PhD) (LU, Barcelona University, Leuven University)
- Wenzhou Medical University, China
- CORVOS, a Horizon 2020 Marie Curie Joint European PhD
- iCope, Interregional Childhood Oncology Precision Medicine Exploration (Öresund-Kattegat-Skagerrak)
- Nagoya University, Japan
Individual double degree agreements
- University of Iceland, School of Health Sciences
- Universidad de la Republica, Faculty of Science Uruguay
- Universidade de Coimbra, Portugal
- Università Degli Studi de Genova, Italy
- Central South China University, China
- Arbaminch University, Ethiopia
- Macquarie University, Australia
- University of Zagreb, Faculty of Science Croatia
maria [dot] sjostrom [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
Head of Research Administration
emma [dot] roybon [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se