Managing data in a high-security environment – LUSEC
LUSEC is an all-inclusive “virtual desk”, for storing, managing, and analysing personal and sensitive data that requires high security in compliance with legislations, for example EU’s General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). The platform has a storage solution with encryption of data, a secure user environment for various applications, and a secure file transfer software.
How to order a LUSEC project
A LUSEC project needs to be requested by the research manager, PI, or by a research administrator.
- Go to LU ServiceDesk website.
- Chose Services and click on the green menu item Research project authorisations (LUSEC). Log in with your Lucat ID adding @lu.se after your username.
- Fill in the application form.
- Send your request. It will take up to 2–3 weeks for the LU central IT support (LDC) to set up your project in LUSEC. You will receive a notification via email as soon as the project space is set-up. User guides, collected in one single zip file, will be included in the email.
LUSEC support & data management consultation
Library & ICT (BIKT) research support team can advise you how to effectively and in a secure manner manage your data before, under and after a research project.
Welcome to book a consultation on using LUSEC or to get advice on general matters on data storage and on information security. Contact Library & ICT (BIKT) research support team at servicedesk [at] lu [dot] se. Please, add LUSEC in the subject field.
Before requesting a LUSEC project space, you need to have the right authorization in Lucat. For help with Lucat, contact your Lucat administrator.
Following attribute are required for a LUSEC project manager or LUSEC project member:
Data manager: eduPerson
Affiliation: Assurance level
Employee, member: Confirmed
Project members can apply for the following user and access rights:
- Project member (reading and writing rights)
- Only reading rights
- Export and import rights
Commonly, the project manager (PI) gets reading and writing rights as well as export and import rights. Project members can apply to any of the authorization right, the application needs to be approved by the project manager.
- Login with your Lucat ID at secure.research.lu.se.
- Open your mobile app for Two-factor authentication, Google Authenticator or equivalent, and add the six digital code that is generated.
- Click in Login.
- Click on Detect Reciever.
- Select Always allow and Choose Application.
- Chose the pre-selected Citrix Workspace Launcher and tick the box Always use.
- Chose Already installed to stat LUSEC. Do not download your project; avoid clicking on Download.
Pros of using LUSEC for managing your data
- All data and applications are incapsulated in a highly secure environment
- Safe and stable storage with encryption of stored data at Lund University
- Correct backup of stored information
- Controlled distance access to all information
- Log management
- Possibility to structure your workflow and manage your data more effectively
LUSEC meets existing data protection legislations and recommendations for storing research data processed from researching humans and biological material from humans, as well as processing personal and sensitive data. LUSEC also addresses the requirements from The Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency (MSB) for availability traceability, integrity, confidentiality, and offers a secure environment for using various data analysis software.