The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

Publishing your research

Library & ICT* offers help and support with the publication process, including open access, reference management with EndNote and the analysis of scientific results in terms of citations (bibliometrics). On this webpage you can get answers to questions regarding costs for publishing and get help with orienting yourself in open publishing, for example choosing an open access journal and a Creative Commons license.

Requirements for open aceess publishing

Research funders are increasingly demanding that publicly funded research be published with open access. Examples are Forte, the European Research Council (ERC), Formas and Horizon 2020 (the European Commission). Open access publishing of research is considered to promote dissemination and use. The Swedish Research Council (VR) requires that projects awarded grants from October 2022 must publish with immediate open access.

Publishing costs

The cost of open access publishing varies depending on the journal's payment model.

Learn more about how much you pay to publish open access

Choosing the right Creative Commons license

Creative Commons licenses (CC licenses) are copyright tools used to facilitate the distribution and reuse of creative works. The use of CC licenses is standard in open access publishing.

Creative Commons licenses (CC licenses) are copyright tools used to facilitate the distribution and reuse of creative works. The copyright holder of a work can easily communicate how others can use the work via a CC license.
 It acts as a permission for use, given in advance. It means that those who wish to reuse a work do not need to seek permission for use as long as the conditions are followed. The use of CC licenses is standard in open access publishing.

Creative Commons for researchers on the National Library of Sweden's website

You can contact the Library & ICT Research Support if you need help choosing a license or have other questions about copyright.

When choosing a license for your publication, keep in mind that any condition attached to the license could potentially hinder the distribution and use of your publications and figures. The most permissive license provides the best opportunities for maximum spread.

The links below will forward you to more information on the Creative Commons website.

Creative Commons license chooser
Description of the terms and licenses

Learn more about open access

Sign up for webinars on funders’ requirement and Creative Commons licenses

Webinars on Open Publishing

Open access and self-archiving at the University Library´s website:
Publish open access

The Swedish Research Council's requirements for open access
Publishing your research open access (Swedish Research Council's website)

Enter your affiliation correctly

Enter affiliation according to the format below:

Unit, Department, Organisation, City, Country

If you have two relevant affiliations and for example are linked to both Lund University and Region Skåne, state your affiliation as below. Enter the affiliations in two separate lines:

Author A1,2
1. Unit, department university, city, country.
2. Practice area/clinic, hospital/administration, city, country.

(Employees within Region Skåne are not recommended to specify Region Skåne, as this is not a functioning affiliation).

Example: Smith1,2
1. Clinical and Molecular Osteoporosis Research Unit, Department of Clinical Sciences Malmö, Lund University, Malmö, Sweden.
2. Department of Orthopedics, Skåne University Hospital, Malmö, Sweden.

Contact and Support

Library & ICT Research support team

Ask a question or book a consultation through Library & ICT´s contact form.