The browser you are using is not supported by this website. All versions of Internet Explorer are no longer supported, either by us or Microsoft (read more here:

Please use a modern browser to fully experience our website, such as the newest versions of Edge, Chrome, Firefox or Safari etc.

When leaving Sweden

When leaving Sweden, remember to contact your host where you live in good time to give notice of termination of the contract, close your bank account, contact the Swedish Tax Agency and let them know you are leaving and read up on pensions.

Departure checklist

Leaving the university

Make sure that you return your office key, key card and if applicable, credit card and cell phone. Also, remember to empty your room of your personal items.

Make a list of all the phone numbers and addresses in Sweden that you might need after you leave.

Further information about leaving Sweden may be found on the Migration Agency website:

Leaving Sweden (the Swedish Migration Agency)

The Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket)

If you plan to return to Sweden in the future and have a permanent residence permit, please read the information about travelling from Sweden on the Migration Agency website:

Travelling from Sewden (the Swedish Migration Agency)

The Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket)

If you leave Sweden for at least one year, do not forget to notify the Tax Office at least one week before departure. Fill in and sign the form 'Moving abroad' and send it to the following address:

Skatteverkets inläsningscentral
FE 2005
205 76 Malmö

Form 'Moving abroad' (PDF, 81 KB, new tab)

The Swedish Social Insurance Agency (Försäkringskassan)

If you receive any allowances in Sweden but intend to leave the country permanently, please fill out form number 5459 'Flyttning till eller arbete I ett annat land”' which can be found on the Social Insurance Agency's website:

Moving or working in another country (PDF 903 KB, new tab)

The Swedish Pensions Agency (Pensionsmyndigheten)

You might need to contact the Swedish Pensions Agency regarding future retirement issues. For further information, please visit:

The Swedish Pension Agency's website

Your bank

Make sure that you close your bank account before moving from Sweden.

Report a change of address (optional)

Are you planning to move your home or to change address permanently or temporarily? If so, be sure to register your change of address:

Leaving Sweden, information in Swedish (

Practical help and advice for EU nationals and their families

The following link provides help for European citizens and their families about rights and to practical tips to move around in the EU:

Moving around in the EU (Your Europe website)


Anna-Karla Jakesevic
International academic staff support (IASS)
anna-karla [dot] jakesevic [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
+46 767 902 176