Applying for and starting a new website
Are you thinking of starting a website to solve one or more communication needs? Below you find important information that first must be considered.
There is a set structure for the Faculty of Medicine web presence. This design applies to all activities at the faculty following a decision by the dean. Permission to establish new websites for parts of the organisation is only granted in exceptional cases.
The majority of activities are usually already supplied with good communication opportunities via faculty-wide websites or the Lund University Research Portal (LUCRIS) which is also displayed in a web interface.
Advantages of utilising LUCRIS
As a researcher, you get many benefits when you present yourself and your research in LUCRIS. You get a clear and easy-to-manage presentation that you can update yourself or with the help of a designated person close to you. As LUCRIS is a database, searchability and ability to connect information are better than on a website.
Also it is not necessary to independently monitor the various legislation and regulations that the University must follow as concerns online publishing (because the University is an authority). LUCRIS has shared overhead funding and you pay no extra for the use of the research portal.
A website may be required on special grounds
Special requirements must be fulfilled in order to be permitted to set up your own website.
It is possible to apply to set up your own website in a few situations. For example, when there are needs that LUCRIS, or other available alternatives, cannot fulfil. Such needs may include:
- Profiling and marketing needs that cannot be achieved in LUCRIS. For example, certain collaborations or projects together with other organisations.
- Target groups that are not primary in LUCRIS (for example, participants in patient studies or in the business sphere).
- Clearly-formulated requirements for a website from, for example, grant providers.
- Functionality (for example news and calendar functions).
In order for your application to be granted, sufficient resources are also required. These resources must be sufficient to build and run the website and to keep up-to-date on current legal requirements.
Permitted websites must always be built within the university-wide online solution (Drupal), unless otherwise agreed in connection with the application.
- Contact the Faculty Communications Section (see under "Contact"). Then discuss what your communication needs are and whether a new website is the most suitable solution.
- Fill in the application forms (application + target group analysis) and submit them according to instructions.
- Your Head of Department notifies you of the decision (decisions are made jointly by the Head of Department and the Faculty Head of Communications).
If your application is approved, you will receive guidance and help regarding domain name registration, transition meeting, training and more until the website is launched.
If your application is not approved, you are welcome to discuss other options with the Communications Section. These options could include, for example, a blog, social media or email newsletters.
Web Project Manager
+46 46 222 14 21
bjorn [dot] martinsson [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
Alternatively: webbredaktionen [at] med [dot] lu [dot] se
Application forms are supplied by the Communications Section (see contact information above) if you after contact still consider that there is a need for a new website.