Professional development abroad
If you are a staff member at Lund University or a PhD student or have some other employment in which you teach LU students, you are able to apply for a grant for further training or continuing professional development abroad. By gaining international experience in your post, you can broaden your network, increase your intercultural skills and develop or deepen existing collaborations.
A desire for international mobility can be included in your individual professional development plan.
How to prepare
- Set up goals and think about expected results of your professional development in good time. This irrespective of whether it involves teaching abroad, taking a course or visiting an interesting department, division or research group.
- Talk to your manager in good time so that your workplace is also able to make preparations ahead of your absence.
- Do not forget to share your experience and knowledge after your professional development.
Click the tabs below and use the menu to get more information and tips about professional development abroad.
- Why? What do I want to learn? How is it relevant to my post? What goals do I have? What result will I or my workplace achieve through my mobility?
- Where? Where can I learn this? What language skills are required? Contact the receiving department, communicate your goals and expectations and identify a contact person.
- Who? Go by myself or with a colleague?
- When? When is it suitable for me to be away from my workplace?
- How? Is there funding for this? Can my division cover any course fees?
- Use existing partners. On the following page you will find a link to Lund University’s partner universities:
Lund University’s cooperation agreements with foreign universities (Lund University Staff Pages)
- Go on a job exchange in Europe.
The Swedish Council for Higher Education (UHR) offers several programmes for job exchanges for state employees.
Read more about job exchanges on the UHR website
- Use your own or colleagues’ networks
- Find a course or an opportunity for professional development in one of the following (the links lead to other websites):
Shipcon Erasmus+ Training
Dorea Educational Institute
Globe English, Centre of English Studies
International Training Centre
- Find a new partner.
Contact the International office for help with contracts (the Faculty’s external website)